LVPPP and the old schoolhouse have a long history within our community.

The old schoolhouse was built in 1908, one of the oldest remaining buildings from the early settlement days of Lynn Valley or “Shaketown” as it was originally named. It was the second schoolhouse in Lynn Valley, and is the oldest to survive.

In 1945, a group of hardworking Lynn Valley mothers studied and raised money to finance a playschool for local children. The Lynn Valley Playschool was located in the Lynn Valley Community Centre (the lower level of the original Lynn Valley School gymnasium).  LVCC-Children-sandboxAt the time of its opening the Community Association President said “This is one of the finest and most progressive steps that any community centre could have”.

In 1962 the old Lynn Valley School gym was scheduled for relocation (Now the RNB Dance School Building) and the playschool was given notice to vacate the premises. Persistent parents petitioned, and the school board granted use of the old schoolhouse where LVPPP resides to this day.

With the move, the preschool disassociated itself from the Community Centre and changed its name to Lynn Valley Co-op Preschool. By 1976, the sign on the schoolhouse read “Lynn Valley Parent Participation Preschool”.

View-schoolhouseOur school has a longstanding tradition of community involvement. We enjoy participating in and hosting local events. Annually, our school participates in the Christmas Tree Walk and the Lynn Valley Day Parade. Each year the school hosts the ever popular Pumpkin Patch and Haunted House. Since the school opened in 1945, parent education has been core element of our programming and LVPPP attracts notable speakers on a monthly basis to share their knowledge with current families and alumni.